There are times when individuals need the services of a sexual battery attorney. There’s a reason why, In Indiana, a person commits the act of sexual battery when a victim is touched or fondled in order to arouse or satisfy the defendant (or some other person’s) sexual desires:
- By force or threat of force
- When the victim is unable to consent due to a mental disability.
A person can also commit sexual battery by touching the victim sexually when the victim is unaware that the touching has occurred.
Need a Sexual Battery Defense Attorney?
Examples of Sexual Battery
Generally, the act of sexual battery has occurred when sexually motivated fondling has occurred. Examples of sexual battery include:
- Patting or grabbing a person’s buttocks
- Grabbing a woman’s breast
- Fondling a woman’s breast
- Touching a victim’s genital area
According to Ind. Code Ann. § 35-42-4-8, sexual battery is a crime involving improper sexual touching and not one involving penetration.
Criminal Sexual Battery in Indiana
Criminal sexual conduct that involves physical force may also result in regular battery charges. Being convicted of a sex crime in Indiana comes with a number of life changing circumstances. If you are convicted, you can expect:
- Lifetime registration as a sexual offender
- Jail time
- Court fines and costs